Tuesday, November 27, 2012

GRANDPA'S STORY - @Ahmad_YSF



 Adam and Leila on their weekly cut-and-dried walk to visit Adam’s grandparents at the countryside in their farmhouse which was only a mile away from Adam’s street and Leila was the girl next door. The one mile stroll was joyful like the ones before. On reaching the doorstep, Adam barges in yelling, “Granpaaaaa, Granmaaaaa!”  Leila chuckled, “Granpaaaaaaa!” Adam yelled for the second time. Leila grabbed his right arm “Baby! We should check the backyard he’s probably with Virgo” she said. Virgo was Grandpa’s favorite horse. Grandpa was standing with his back to them, brushing Virgo’s mane; “GRANDPA” said Adam, “Oh my boy” Grandpa said as he turned to hug Adam closely. “Good evening Mr. Perez” Leila said smiling warmly “my dear Leila, how are you?” “I’m fine thank you” Leila replied hugging him closely, giving him a peck. “It is always nice seeing you two together” Grandpa said, Adam and Leila wore a smile on their faces and glanced at each other.So, where’s Grandma?” Adam asked? “She’s out to sympathize with a friend, Miss Jenny who lately lost her son” Grandpa replied. “Oh that’s sad” Leila said.

“Oh yes it is sad my dear” Mr. Perez said. “Come with me both of you let’s have some evening tea”. When the tea was ready, Adam and Leila who were sitting on a couch holding hands were given a mug of tea each by Grandpa. Grandpa pants and poises in his recliner making Leila chuckle a little and Mr. Perez smiled. They all were quite for some moment sipping their tea. Leila starts to tease Adam by playfully kicking his ankle with her right leg “ouch” Adam complained halfheartedly Leila chuckled, he does the same to her but a bit harder, “Ouch” she says loudly reaching for his left ear firmly and tenaciously! “OK I’m sorry I’m sorry” said Adam laughingly. Grandpa chortled and shook his head. They all laughed and settled back for some seconds before Grandpa said, “Let me tell you a story” then Grandpa started by saying,” you two will be the first to hear this and probably the last”. They both totally concentrated on Grandpa with Adam holding Leila’s hand. Grandpa composed his sitting position facing them both saying “it’s on how I met my Fiona, your Grandma”.


“It’s been four and half decades now. One day after closing from my part-time job at the bar, I was rushing to beat the time for school I had a test to write which I couldn’t afford to miss. On reaching the first corner of the street, I stopped by the shop there called ‘OINS’ to get some ginger drink. I got one, I was waiting for the cashier to hand me my change while looking around when I sighted the most beautiful creature passing by across the street. I walked out of OINS without having my change or my ginger drink. She traversed the street as she happened to be the last person for the last second before the lanes gets busy again. I was straining my neck to find out which direction she went but she seemed to have vanished! In my eagerness to find her, I nearly got hit by a car, I had to find her and I thankfully I did in a phone booth making a call. The moment she finished, I said “Excuse me miss” and she politely replied questioningly “Yes?” with a smile on her pretty face, her eyes glowing like ambers, her dimples, her curly hair, her height,  her fingers….she was a wonderful piece of work, something worthy! She was the most beautiful lady I had ever seen. I stood there like a statue, I wasn’t hearing anything until she said “Hellooooo” and made some snapping sound and I responded “Yes! Sorry please, err…. I saw you passing by and uhh…. I uhh wanted to…” I couldn’t look straight into her eyes, she laughed and I cackled. I developed some confidence and confidently said to her “I was on my way to school and I saw you crossing MARINA Street” deep down inside me I was sweating and totally sick as I remembered I should be in school for my test. But I remained being a man standing strong. She didn’t talk and I hushed too for some seconds staring at her then I asked “mind if I know your name please?” she then stared hurriedly at the opposite side of the road. I said to her “well my name is Perez and it would mean a lot to me if you could kindly tell me yours please”. She replied, “Fiona” moving fast towards a car that had stopped behind me, I asked eagerly “how do I get to see you again?” She smiled and they drove off but I could manage to mug up the plate number and the color of the car. “How did you end up with your test Mr. Perez?” Leila asked? “That is out of our story now my dear” Mr. Perez replied.

Weeks later I saw the car passing by my work place I asked my co-worker who owned it and he told me. Her house wasn’t hard to trace. After work I went by her house fortunately enough, I didn’t wait for long Fiona came out with her dog for walk down the street. I can still remember her dress. I walked to her and said, “Mind me strolling with you Fiona?” “Perez!?” said Fiona, with an astonished face.” How did you find me?” “A true beauty can never hide from the person who sees it” I replied, and she smiled. In my heart I was extremely happy she could instantly remember my name. That evening we had a really great and memorable time.



As time went by, Fiona’s mother, Christina, found out about us. We were earnestly in love. Christina never liked me. Throughout the time we were dating, two years and a few months, Fiona hid something from me. She never wanted to hurt my feelings, she never wanted me to be depressed mentally as she wholeheartedly knew how I cared, cherished and loved her. Fiona’s mother wanted her to marry “VICK VIKAN”. It was never easy for me hearing that! It was the most unfortunate news I’d ever heard. I was anguished mentally! I was mad at Fiona when she told me, tears blinded my eyes, but she understood what I was going through. Fiona hugged me, unlike the normal hug we used to have, after some seconds, she whispered in my ear “It’s you that I love! It’s you that I want”, she cupped my face with her two hands, looked straight into my eyes then kissed my lower lip whispering “We’ll be in touch”.



A week passed by and I hadn’t heard from Fiona; I began to not trust the hopes but I trusted her anyway. I decided to check up on her. At the doorstep, I pressed the bell; the house maid attended to me. “Welcome Sir” she said. “Please I’m here to see Fiona. Tell her it’s Perez” I said. “OK! Sir.”  After some minutes I over-heard Christina yelling; “What would you do with a poor boy? He’s not worthy of you!” “Says who?” cried out Fiona! Then a car arrived, so flashy, he stepped out of the car very affable and confident gentleman “Hello” he said, “Hello” I replied. We shook hands and remained silent. At that moment Fiona came down in tears sniveling, she hugged me “Oh my God sweetheart, what’s wrong?” I asked as I hugged her warmly. I wiped the tears off her face. Vick was holding up there and beaming, like he’s spooked! Looking fixedly! “Fiona?” said Vick. Fiona looked at him while she was leaning on my chest, “Is he Perez?” Vick asked? Fiona nodded. Then Christina came down looking highly upset! Vick looked at all of us; “I can put an end to this” said Vick. And he started to calm Christina by saying “You know it hurts to love someone and not to be loved in return, but what is more aching is to love someone and never see the fearlessness to let that person know how you feel! Fiona is not right person for me, but they deserve each other indeed. Love is not about wealth it vanishes away! When the door of happiness closes another opens but we often see the closed ones. Fiona I would not like to close this door of happiness for you. We never say goodbye to love and to our loved ones as I loved you dearly Fiona, I’d like not to give up, I’d like not to let it go as love comes to those who still hope even though they’ve been betrayed or disappointed.  Fiona Go for someone who makes you smile. It takes only a smile to make the dark days bright”. Fiona hugged Vick and said to him “Thanks for being you, Vick”.



From that day to this day we’ve been happy and helping each other through life. I hail her for being mine and as well for making the most difficult decision of a lifetime which favors me. The sun wouldn’t be red, the sea wouldn’t be blue, the stars wouldn’t be bright, I wouldn’t be happy without Fiona. Your Grandmother. She is the best decision I ever made.
“Wooooow that’s the most romantic story ever!” said Leila
“It is” said Mr. Perez beaming
“Yes sir” Adam echoed after him.
“It is getting late. You two should start going” said Grandpa.
“Regards to Grandma” said Adam
“Good night Mr. Perez” said Leila
“Good night my dear and be safe, and regards to all Adam” Mr. Perez replied.

Strolling back home Adam and Leila share their customary jokes and laughs before arriving at Leila’s doorstep, rain starts falling and the two cover their heads with Adam’s jacket rushing and giggling. The good night kiss was anomalous and special, Leila said to Adam “thank you and good night my Love”  He smiled broadly and turned to walk home thinking he had got to be the luckiest man on earth, next to Grandpa!


By the blogger; ahmadysf.blog.com

No comments:

Post a Comment